City Youth Match Reports Reports from 2002 - Tezzas Days gone bye


Tezza is looking back through his old City Youth reports and found more trivia from 18 years ago.

Well done Terry Edwards.




The Under 18's South had an extremely easy victory at home when their visitors Boreham Wood Youth only turned up with eight players leaving the Saints to romp home to twenty goals to nil (20-0). The goalscorers were Ollie FRANKS 5, Ben GRAHAM 5, Jamie PARSONS 3, Kenny HULL 2, Danny HUGHES, Stephen CHESTERS, Steve McGOVEN, Stephen COX and a rare header from Peter HANSON.


In a very sporting match saw the Under 18's North beat Headstone Manor at home in the League Cup 1-0 with their goal coming with only two minutes left at the clock. John LYON scored the goal with a looping header following a Charles Thrussell corner kick.


The Under 17's won their League Title and finished their league season with a 5-3 home victory over their closest rivals Echoes Red. The young Saints conceded an early goal, but they quickly hit back when a Chris Bergin cross was struck home by Allister COLLINS off the inside of the far post. Echoes then went 2-1 up following a free kick which was headed home but yet again within a few minutes the Saints drew level when Allister COLLINS struck home a penalty kick after Bergin was fouled in the box. Just before the break the Under 17's took the lead for the first time in the match when Sam Parrett hit a high long ball into the box for Allister COLLINS to complete his hat-trick with a well-placed header. Early into the second half saw keeper Russell Garland pulled off a fine save to stop Echoes from equalizing and then Jake Attwood hit over a great centre for Chris SEEBY to rise up and head home to put the Saints 4-2 up. Echoes hit back on the break to make it 4-3 but then Iaian TURKENTINE headed the ball powerfully into the back of the net following a Jake Attwood corner kick to wrap up the victory with a 5-3 scoreline. In the last minute though saw a vital goal line clearance from Nathan Maycock to make sure all of the points for the Saints. Well done to the Under 17's management team of Clive Attwood, Super Coach Mark Clark and Mr Enforcer himself Terry Edwards plus not forgetting of course the Players themselves and the Parents for all their support during the season.


The Under 16's were at home to Panshanger Whites and they started with a mix-up which resulted in them conceding an early goal. They were then denied an equalizer when a shot from Kevin Hearn went through a hole in the roof of the net. Jason BLYTHE hit home the equalizer when curled a free kick from 25 yards around the defensive wall and into the back of the net. Panshanger retook the lead just before half and then the young Saints applied pressure in the second period which finally paid when Matt Hearne setup James HARVEY to score from close range to the final score 2-2.


Away to Harpenden Colts Pumas were the Under 15's East and after a fine team performance saw them win 5-1. Danny McCAFFERTY who was making his 100th appearance for the team had an excellent game and also popped up with a fine goal. The other goalscorers were Mark SAVORY 2 and Stephen PYKE with a brace. 

In a double header with Boreham Wood 2000 saw the Under 15's West lose the first game 2-0 and they also went on to lose the second match 4-1 with Ian SMITH scoring the consolation goal from the penalty spot.


Richie COLLIN scored two goals for the Under 14 East as they tried to fight back from being 3-0 down after only ten minutes play away to Winchmore Hill. The young Saints eventually went down 5-2 with Jim Coad in midfield being named man of the match. 

Two fine goals from Bob SINGH and Lawrence GATIER were not enough for the Under 14's West as they lost 10-2 to Hemel Blue in the Challenge Shield with goalkeeper Glen SAFFERY being named man of the match after he had pulled off some fine saves during the game in an effort to keep the scoreline down.


in the Challenge Cup quarterfinal saw the Under 13's North defeat Boreham Wood 2000 2-1 away with goals from Chris JELL, a close range effort plus a penalty from Lee FINDLAY. Mark Lawford at left back had an outstanding game for the young Saints. 

The Under 13's South went in at half time 2-0 up against Gadeside with Alex FRASER and Luke STREET scoring for the Saints. In the second half Gadeside scored two early goals to draw level and then struck another two late on to win the match 4-2.

Playing a double header against Cuffley Youth were the Under 13's Mid Herts and they won their first match 9-0 and they also won the second game also with a clean sheet 6-0. The goalscorers combined for both matches are Robert PULLMAN 5, Chris JELL 4, Jamie FIGG 3, Jack STEVENS 2 plus one from John PATON.

UNDER 11's.

The Under 11's Girls were at home to a strong Stevenage Vixens in a friendly and following a very tight match saw them eventually go down 2-1 with Tiffany HARBRON scoring the Saints goal. Claire Brown picked up another player of the match award after working hard throughout the game.   

One nil down in the first minute saw the Under 11's South hit back in their away match with Palace Youth with three goals to take a 3-2 lead at half time. Chris BARRY struck with two quick fire goals, one after another in the space of three minutes whilst Jamie SMITH scoring the third goal. However, with only seconds remaining Palace Youth scored an equalizing goal for the match to end all square at 3-3. Centre back Marcus Madden was named man of the match.   

The Under 11's East lost 2-1 at home to Edmonton Eagles in the Spring Cup with Matthew LINNEY scoring the Saints goal from the penalty spot.

UNDER 10's.

The Under 10's North battled well at home against Evergreen, but they eventually lost 3-0 after being 2-0 down at the break. Luke Thatcher who was making his debut played extremely well whilst Harry Honeywood in goal pulled off some fine saves throughout the match and in doing so earned the man of the match title. 

One nil down after five minutes play at home to St Albans Rangers saw the Under 10's South finally drew level when James LAWS hit home the equalizer. Although by the break they found themselves 2-1 down but midway through the second half George GORDON struck home to make it 2-2 and in the last minute he had another effort cleared off the line to make the final score 2-2.   

Leading 2-0 at half time with both of the goals coming from Elliot GOWARD saw the Under 10'West hit another two goals in the second half to beat Riverside AFC at home 4-0. Scoring the other two goals were Andrew JARVIS with a effort just after the break whilst Matthew PEARCE struck the second following a Elliot Goward free kick. Defender Sam Craft was named man of the match.

UNDER 9's.

James LOTHIAN and Aidan BRENNAN scored the goals in the Under 9 A's 2-2 draw at Tring Tornadoes. Hard tackling Jacob Wroe was named man of the match.   

The Under 9 B's also earnt a draw after going 1-0 down in the first minute away to Tring Tornadoes but Tom RAINFORD struck home a fine equalizer in the second half. Two players Ryan Lee and Max O'Shea who were making their debuts for the club both had excellent games for the young Saints.

UNDER 8's.

The Under 8's were away to Hemel Youth with young Alex GOLDSTONE scoring a cracking goal for the Saints whilst Harry Kentish had a brilliant game in the Under 8's defence.