City Youth Match Reports Reports from 1991/92 - Tezzas Days gone bye


Tezza is looking back through his old City Youth reports and found more trivia from almost 30 years ago.

Well done Terry Edwards.

THESE ARE REPORTS WHICH WERE INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAMME FOR THE ST ALBANS CITY FC UNDER 18'S V PLYMOUTH ARGYLE IN THE F. A. YOUTH CUP 2ND ROUND which was played at Clarence Park on Wednesday 27th November during the 1991-92 Season.

We start with the Under 18's Midweek team cup run in the F. A. Youth Cup. TEAM FROM Jamie Percival, Murray Smith, Greg Pearson, Danny Kingshott, Lee Wakefield, Lee Dowden, Lee Godwin, Mark Underwood, Barry Yates, Kevin Durrant, Mark Swales, Nicky Scott, Nicky Butcher, Craig Alderman, Gary Campion. Alas St Albans City Under 18's did not get through to the next round as Plymouth won 4-0 after scoring two goals in each half but the young Saints did play well throughout the game and it was also a great performance for the squad to get to the 2nd round proper.

The Under 18's had got this far by beating Billericay Town at home in the preliminary round 4-1 with two goals from Barry YATES plus one apiece from Mark UNDERWOOD and Lee DOWDEN.  In the 1st qualifying round they drew away 1-1  to Braintree with Barry YATES scoring the equalizing goal and in the replay at Clarence Park saw the young Saints storm to a 8-2 win with goals from Barry YATES 2, Lee DOWDEN 2, Mark UNDERWOOD, Kevin DURRANT, Adam PARKER and Nicky SCOTT.

In the 2nd qualifying saw them win 3-1 away to Clapton and getting on the score sheet were Mark UNDERWOOD, Kevin DURRANT and Barry YATES whilst in the 1st round proper saw them play Whyteleafe also away and goals from Mark UNDERWOOD and Mark SWALES saw the Under 18's record a 2-0 victory.


The Under 10's were away to Garston Boys and despite having most of the play they found themselves 1-0 down at half time. In the second period the young Saints kept the pressure up and were rewarded when Paul TAYLOR headed the equalizer from a Jonathan Jenkins cross. Paul TAYLOR then made it 2-1 to the Saints after a fine run into the box and then a low shot past the Garston keeper whilst Liam TILLEY struck a superb volley to make the final score 3-1 following a neat pass from Arthur Hook. Squad: Burton, Watts, Whitlock, Coulson, Thompson, Tilley, Jenkins, Hook, Fairbairn, Taylor, Cutmore, Edwards, Perchard (all played).   

A goal apiece from Roland JAMES and Grant HAMILTON saw the Under 11's defeat Ember Echoes 2-0 in the Autumn Cup.  Team: Daw, Markham, Morgan, Fellowes, Pallett, Seeby, Hamilton, Woodley, Day, James Coughlan.   

The Under 12's South were at home to East Finchley and they lost finally 6-3 after a real end to end match.  Scoring for the Under 12' South were Sam SIBLEY, Mark TAYLOR and Lee MILES.  Squad: Cornish, McCullum, M. Coughlan, Minro, Blyth, Clark, Sibley, Carter, Miles, Goodier, Hatch (all played).

The Under 12's North carry on their unbeaten record in the league with the thrashing of Cockfosters away by the score of 13-1. Leading the goalscorers was Anthony PIKE with four plus hat-tricks from Liam HARVEY and Piers CARRUTHERS and a brace from Martin THOMPSON and a single from Sam LANE. The Saints have now played 7 matches in the league of which they have won 6 and drawn one with 49 goals for and 8 against. Squad: Williams, Barber, Scase, Jukes, Brazil, Pyke, Harvey, Thompson, Austin, Carruthers, Lane, Spencer-Brand, Watts (all played):     

The Under 14's South lost heavily away to Barnet A.  Team: Getley, Hill, Parkin, Lockwood, Burr, Abbott, Eve, Pearman, King, Behan, Leahy.      

A hat-trick from Mark SHABOLT lead the way for the Under 14's North as they defeated Boreham Wood at home 7-3 with the other goals coming from Tom LAWRENCE 2 and two from Simon DEAN: Squad: Milner, Field, Mead, Daw, Rawle, Garrett, Shadbolt, Gentry, Lawrence, Stevenson, Dean, Baladi(all played).

Two goals from Stephen FLITTON and one each from Simon WOOD and Michael EDWARDS gave the 15's South a 4-1 victory over Boreham Wood in the league.  Squad: Thompson, Lawrence, Prowle, Sankey, Gibson, Bass, Heart, Denholm, Edwards, Elliott, Flitton, Wood, Hancock (all played).

The Under 16's had an extremely easy match as their opposition Princes Park failed to turn up.

The 17 East lost 6-0 at home to Cockfosters despite keeping the scoreline at 0-0 at half time.

In a top of the table clash saw the Under 17's West take on Princes Park at home and following a very close match saw the Saints win 2-1 with goals from Mark SELLERS and Paul LINDSAY and this victory now puts them top of the table. Squad: Chapman, Pickett, Gammon, Allen, Lawrence, Young, Sellers, Kipling, Taylor, George, Yeo, Lindsay, Smith (all played).

The Under 18's had a very easy match away to Barnet in the league because the home side could only field 8 players, but the Saints still made heavy work of it and they only won by six goals to nil. Scoring the goals was Sean BROSNAN with a hat-trick plus a brace from Andy BEALE and one own goal:  Squad: Elliott, Edwards, Taylor, White, Attfield, Bailey, Long, Andrews, Irvine, Beale, Brosnan, Cannon, Bennett (all played).

As you can see from these notes that in the Saints programmes they not only printed the results from the STACY matches but they also put in the names of all the players who played in each game as yours truly Tezza asked for these from the managers so he could put them in. Doing this helped the Club win the Non-League Wirral Programme Club Award for the season 1987-88 season which saw them come top out of 773 entries around the country.

The Editors were Terry Edwards, Ray Stanton and Mr St Albans stats himself David Tavener.