St Albans City Youth Match Reports - St Albans Observer Coverage from 2002 - Tezzas Days gone bye


Tezza is looking back through his old City Youth reports and found some from almost 20 years ago, there are some players names that many of us old managers remember. Well done Terry Edwards.




MIDWEEK YOUTH.  The midweek youth team needed a last-minute equaliser to earn an exciting a 4-4 draw at Uxbridge. Craig Mackail-Smith should have put the Saints in front after only a few minutes play when was sent clear of the Uxbridge defence, but he shot over with only the keeper to beat. Allister Collins, Greg Deacon and Matt Jones all went close before Allister COLLINS finally open the scoring with a back-post header from an Iain Turkentine’ s corner kick. Turkentine himself might had doubled the lead before a couple of errors at the back-saw Uxbridge score two goals to take a 2-1 lead. Just before the break saw the Saints draw level when Matt JONES finished coolly at the near post whilst Chris SEEBY netted a third goal as they regained the lead early into second half. Once again though Uxbridge were presented a way back into the game by lax defending and retook the lead to go 4-3 up and it looked like it would not be the Saints day as Craig Mackail-Smith had a effort disallowed while another came down off the crossbar but the match had a final sting as the Saints levelled in the final minute with Craig MACKAIL-SMITH firing home a well struck shot to make the final score 4-4.

WEST HERTS YOUTH LEAGUE.   The Under 18's South ran in 5 second half goals to secure the league title with an impressive 5-0 win at home against Cassiobury. Scoring the goals were Kenny HULL with a brace whilst Ollie FRANKS, Ryan HUGHES and Ben GRAHAM were also on target.

Away to nine-man Pinner United saw the Under 18's North go down 3-2 with Lewis DOMMETT and Dean PARSONS scoring for the North.

Meanwhile in the semi-final of the Challenge Cup saw the Under 17's emerge victorious with a narrow 3-2. After a slow start the Saints opened the scoring when Sam PARRETT curled one in from straight by the corner flag. Matt JONES restored the lead just before the interval after Boreham Wood had made it 1-1 and that is how the score remained until the last minute when Boreham Wood scored from a penalty to make it 2-2 but the match was still not finished. Straight from the kick-off saw the Saints rush up the other end and hit home the winner when Allister COLLINS firing home from the edge of the box following a Chris Bergin pass. 

The Under 16's were also in cup semi-final action eventually emerging victorious by six goals to three. After going a goal down to Lyonsdown inside five minutes they then hit back with a hat-trick from Matt HANSON plus a Mark PARADISE (1st mistake in paper as his first name is spelt as Park) goal to go 4-1 up at the break. Two quick goals after the break made it 4-3 before Michael EMMETT and James HARVEY struck again for the Saints to record a 6-3 win.

BUSHEY FRIENDLY LEAGUE.   The Under 15's West met the Under 15's East in the Challenge Cup which saw the 15's East finally running out comfortable winners by five goals to nil. Mark SAVORY scored the first three goals (named spelt Sanory in the paper 2nd mistake) before Edward CALLON and Andy FASSNIDGE completed the rout whilst Ben Conrad was named man of the match.

In the league the Under 15 East went down 3-1 against Cassiobury with Stephen PYKE scoring their only goal whilst Jason Slough and Andy Sharpe shared the man of the match award.

The Under 14's West won their Charity Shield match at Comet Cougars 2-1 with both Bob SINGH and Phil ADAMS on target but neither could prevent a 4-1 defeat in the league against Abbotts Youth with Phil ADAMS scoring the West’s goal. 

Adam HULL and Tom CLARK assured a 2-0 win for the Under 14's East against whilst goal machine Ricky MILLER scored two hat-tricks for the Under 13's North as they firstly beat Bushey Rangers 5-1 and then next London Colney 3-0 with Chris HASLAM netting a brace against the Rangers.

The Under 13's South also played twice earning draws with Berkhamsted Raiders 1-1 and Croxley Guild 3-3 with Phil ATKINS and Alex FRASER being their target men.

The Under 13's Mid Herts squad came away with all the praise from their double header with Ware, winning 5-0 in the first game and 3-1 in their second match. Scoring in the 1st game were Jack STEVENS, Chris JELL, Rob PULLMAN, Louis McMillan and James LAWRENCE whilst netting in the second match were Rob PULLMAN 2 and Chris JELL.

Another double success was provided by the Under 12's South with a 4-3 win over Berkhamsted Raiders with Scott CORLEY scoring 3 of the goals whilst Owen SNELL hit the fourth goal. They later played Cassiobury Clarets and won 3-0 with two goals from Ryan ATKINS in the first half whilst Scott CORLEY scored in the second period.

Elsewhere the Under 11's South were emphatic 6-2 winners over Palace Youth with goals from James SMITH 2, Daniel BOGLE, George HACKETT, Chris BARRY and man of the match Nathan SANDIFORD also registered.

A goal from Dominic NAZERI was the only bright point of the 4-1 away loss at Gadeside Rangers for the Under 11's East whilst following a great second half showing inspired the Under 11's West to a 4-2 win over Harpenden Barracudas. Daniel BYRNE scored their first half goal before a hat-trick from Lawrence LEIGH overturned a 2-1 half time deficit.

At Under 10 Level saw the North beat league leaders Boreham Wood 4-1 with goals from Luke THATCHER 2, Harry FOUNTAIN and Luke CAMPION.  Goals from James LAWS and George GORDON gave the Under 10' South a point in a 2-2 draw at home to Boreham Wood. This result preceded a 4-1 defeat at home to Enfield Rangers with Gareth SMITH scoring the South's goal whilst the Under 10's East drew 0-0 with Omonia White.

The Under 9's A twice came from behind to earn a 2-2 draw with Harpenden Colts with goals from Scott HOWLETT and Simon WROE whilst the Under 8's lost 3-2 at Little Gaddesden with Alex GOLDSTONE on target twice for the young Saints.