City Youth Match Reports 12 May 2019


See how your team did, read the latest City Youth match reports here.

Managers, don't forget to Text the Press Secretary, Terry Edwards by 11:00 pm on Sunday with your Result and Match Report. Text 07443541477.

St Albans City Youth FC - Match Reports w/e 12th May 2019

Hertfordshire Development League David Wray Silver Division Cup Final

St Albans City Youth U11 Centurions met Ware Rangers Santos in the final of the Hertfordshire Development League David Wray Silver Division Cup Final. After an early penalty went against Centurions, the game unfolded into a very hard fought match, the lead changing hands a number of times until the final minute. Centurions were behind 4-3, but were saved by another goal, pushing the tussle into extra time. Ware went ahead 5-4, but couldn’t hold out against the mighty Centurions team performance, putting the St Albans team 2 goals ahead by the final whistle – 7-5 to Centurions… the Cup winners. Scoring the goals for the Centurions were Jayden Wright with five whilst both Noah West and Rory O'Connor got one apiece.

Junior League Cup Final

U18 Orient went into Sunday’s Junior League Cup Final looking for the seasons second piece of silverware having clinched the league title a few weeks earlier.

The game against Harpenden Colts Jaguars started brightly for Harpenden keeping Orient pushed back into their own half for the first few minutes but didn’t really trouble Jamie Durham the Orient keeper, things turned midway through the half and Orient started to get some chances and began threatening the Harpenden goal, with Matt Small and Kai Takahashi hitting the woodwork and a few other shots forcing the Harpenden goalie to make saves, but the all important goal wasn’t forthcoming and the first half ended 0-0. Right from the second half kick off Harpenden caught the Orient players napping and scored the first goal of the game within a minute of the restart, the goal seemed the wake the Orient team up and they started playing the ball around and pushing towards the Harpenden goal once again, as the game progressed Orient looked like the team that could score next, but still couldn’t find the back of the net, with about 10 minutes to go Harpenden looked like they would double their lead but for a fantastic low save from Jamie, Orient still had a chance. with only a couple of minutes to go Orient gave their all, but even after Kai hit the woodwork for the second time in the game it wasn’t to be as the final whistle blew. Final score 1-0 to Harpenden Jaguars. Our Man of the Match went to Matt Nash Although Callum Furness, Orients central defender and team captain also had a great game.

Under 16 Central v Hemel Youth Reds

CENTRAL U16 went into their 3rd consecutive Cup Final with a string of injuries and playing against a team who had lost twice all season in all competitions. On paper, CENTRAL would still be favourites, but Hemel Youth REDS are a far stronger team than the one relegated from Division 1 last season following a summer recruiting 3 Luton Town Academy players and 2 EJA players.

Both teams started the game quite cautiously, but Hemel grew into the game first and started to look the stronger of the two teams. Their midfield and attack, which we knew beforehand was strong, linked well and started to put the CENTRAL defence under ever more pressure. CENTRAL struggled to create any meaningful attacks making us wonder if the absence of Jack Percy with torn ankle ligaments and Calum Cornish with a back injury were going to be badly missed. CENTRALS defence however had clear instructions which marshalled by Rob Brown in the centre of defence and supported by Angelo Calatrava and Ben Sommerbauer as defensive midfielders held strong up to half time with the score line still 0:0.

Concern grew during the half time break when Elliot Smith confirmed that his back problem in the weeks leading up to the game was progressively worsening and he was worried how much longer he could continue. He declared himself strong enough to continue but CENTRALS coaches were sufficiently concerned to immediately start thinking of how to accommodate replacing Smith with no recognised Central Defender on the bench. Sure enough 5 minutes into the second half Smith couldn’t continue, but the frantic half time discussions between coaches and players had resulted in a replacement being ready. Up stepped Myles Donkin, a recognised attacking midfielder but brave enough to commit himself to a central defensive role. The wheels could have come off at this point bearing in mind the strength of the Hemel attack, but Donkin slotted in incredibly well and working alongside Rob Brown with Luke Hill one side and John McVeigh the other, CENTRALS defence looked as strong as ever.

A slight re-shuffle at half time, replacing the extremely hard-working Ollie Gilmour with the fresh legs of Matty Bleakley on the left and moving Daniel Onochie-Williams into his favoured central striking role, coupled with the added confidence that the defence could deal with Hemel’s attack saw the game slowly swing in CENTRALs favour. Matty Bleakley’s renowned touch earned him those vital extra seconds on the ball to be able to pick his pass and open the whole pitch by switching play frequently to the right to get Matt Roome more involved. Supported by Josh Penning, CENTRALS central midfield work horse, the attacking threat grew when on 60 minutes a fantastic lofted pass from Matt Roome over the Hemel defence found Daniel Onochie-Williams surging through on goal. Onochie-Williams had to deal with a difficult bounce on a hard pitch but his right boot connected in the nick of time to lob the ball over the Hemel keeper and into the back of the net.  

Hemel seemed even more determined after conceding, mounting attack after attack. Joe Moss in CENTRALs goal was called upon more and more pulling off a couple of great saves, dealing with some high balls brilliantly and after an indecisive first half, racing off his line to help clear danger around the penalty area. A huge scare from a Hemel free kick and some frantic defending saw John McVeigh clear the ball off the line just as Hemel thought they had equalised. CENTRAL kept fighting back and on 77 minutes an attack started by Angelo Calatrava and aided by Josh Penning, saw Matt Roome gather the ball on the edge of the Hemel penalty area. Looking to shoot but with little option, Roome squared the ball to Onochie-Williams, who dribbled wide across the area and from about 15 yards out wide of goal, turned and stuck an almighty thunderbolt of a shot right into the roof of the Hemel net. Goal of the Season and a 2:0 lead to CENTRAL with no more than 5 minutes remaining meant that CENTRAL just had to remain calm and see the game out, which they did with some good possession football.

Man of the Match, Angelo Calatrava in holding midfield, but others particularly Rob Brown and Matt Roome arguably came close.

Goals from Daniel Onochie-Williams (2), assisted on each occasion by Matt Roome.

SCI Isle of Wight Cup

St Albans City Victoria U13s rounded off an excellent season by winning the prestigious SCI Isle of Wight tournament across the Bank Holiday weekend. Victoria took on top sides from all over the UK and day one saw the Vics finish with a perfect record with wins over Wealdstone Youth (4-0), Alvis Juniors from Coventry (3-1), Teddington Wolves (7-0), before a narrow 1-0 win in a competitive game versus Downside Youth. The boys entered day two of the competition in confident mood, but it was to be a tougher day with narrow victories over Isle of Wight league champions Gurnard Storm 1-0 and tournament runners up Teddington Wolves with another 1-0 win. The boys closed out the tournament with a convincing 3-0 win over Newport Youth before losing their perfect record to Middlesex County Cup finalists Bessingbury Park 1-0 in the final game. The weekend saw stand out performances from the whole squad with the team scoring 21 goals and conceding only 2 across the tournament. Aston Latter took his tally for the season to 25 goals with 6 across the weekend, Ollie Mullen scored 5 and Freddie Roe chipping in with 4. Alex Strazza, Benjy Stone and Gabriel Urhoma were all outstanding at the back and it was captain Strazza who picked up the trophy from former Leicester and Portsmouth striker Steve Claridge at the awards evening. Victoria are now amongst the elite U13 sides across Hertfordshire and will be hoping to go one better next season in the league, where they finished runners up in the West Herts Youth League Premier Division to a powerful Kings Langley outfit. 



CHAMPIONS, CHAMPIONS That was the shout for the 12 Orient as they played Omonia Youth Green in a top of the table clash in the White Division of the Watford Friendly League with the winners going on to have the slight edge in that both teams having just one more match to play.and it was the young Saints who rose to the occasion and put in a fantastic performance at home to run out 6-0 winners and also win the league title. 

The boys produced some terrific football and it was a real team effort and it was man of the match Bertie Postema who set the ball rolling with a cracking left foot strike. He got his second minutes later following a well struck free kick as the team dominated possession to go 2-0 up at half time. The second half followed a similar pattern with Ed Purple and Oscar Noble pulling the strings in midfield creating numerous chances one of which was converted beautifully by Tomer Cohen. The Orient's top goalscorer Ollie Jay added two more goals and then Lucas Berry made it 6-0 to round off a brilliant evening and ensure 12 Orient with the league title. 

With just one match to go sees the !2 Orient having  P 21  W 17  D 3  L 1  GF 80  GA 28  GD +52  PTS  54,  with Omonia Youth in 2nd place on 50 points having also one more match to play.   

Well done Lads, come on you Saints.

Under 16 Spring Cup Final City Youth v AEK Black

We took an early lead through Louis Baker and played really well for 20 minutes and then AEK's long ball game got on top of us. They equalised just before half time and went 2-1 and then 3-1 up in the second half. We finally came back to life with 10 minutes to go and Luca De Oliveira and Louis Baker scored two goals in the last 5 minutes.

Extra time was a fairly even affair and the game went to penalties. We scored our first four penalties (Louis Baker, Adam Robinson, Kyle Rogers and Jaime Filipe Gama) and so did they. Declan Jackson our keeper then saved their fifth and Luke Mann stepped up and scored our fifth and winning penalty.

Sam Johnston was our man of the match.

U10 North White Division Cup Final

U10 North played an extremely hard fought game against Wheathamstead Wanderers U10 Jaguars, loosing narrowly 1-2 on the day. After unfortunately missing several chances and playing extremely well in the first half they conceded two well worked goals to Wheathamstead in the third quarter. The boys fought back with a goal supplied from Josh Cassidy’s shot for Captain and Man of the Match Oliver Ajaegbu to poke in the rebound. Despite a great final quarter they could not get the equaliser. We are so proud of the whole team for a great season, cup run and final performance! Well done!!

Under 12 Orient win the Northwood six aside tournament

In the group stage they beat Hemel Aces Tigers 2-0 with goals from Oscar Noble and Alex Hails. They followed this up with a 4-0 win against sun sports with 2 cracking goals from Bertie Postema; Alex Hails and Luca Lepley also scoring. Luca, very impressive making his debut for Orient, then scored a terrific winner against Harefield. The team's form dipped slightly, drawing a close match 0-0 against Ruislip Rangers then losing against Northwood but still went through to the final on goals scored. In the final they faced a very strong Wembley team and the team were grateful to goalkeeper Harry Rumble who made a magnificent save after two minutes. The Orient boys then really rose to the occasion and dominated possession eventually winning the game after extra time with a cracking strike from Ed Purple. 

HGFPL Shield Final - St Albans U11 Girls North 0 Welwyn Pegasus 2

The nerves got the better of the team today. The game was played on the all-weather pitch at Harvester FC. A good direct Welwyn side proved too much for the team to break down today. A few tired legs as a couple of the girls had already played a District schools game this morning. A very nervous start and we were under pressure early on. We started to get into the game but Welwyn scored a good goal from the edge of the box just into the second half. With a few minutes to go Welwyn scored a second and it was game over. The girls just didn’t play their usual game not helped by the 20 minute rather than 30 minute halves and the smaller than usual pitch. Welwyn were the better team on the day. Stand out players for St Albans were, Rebecca Smith, Michelle Lam, Emma Bracey.

Hertfordshire Development League Green Division Cup Final

Welwyn Pegasus Sapphires 0 V 1 St Albans City Youth South 

MOM & Goal Scorer Jake Roberts