NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you do not change your browser settings, then you agree to the use of cookies

I understand


City Youth Match Reports 24 March 2019


See how your team did, read the latest City Youth match reports here.

Managers, don't forget to Text the Press Secretary, Terry Edwards by 11:00 pm on Sunday with your Result and Match Report. Text 07443541477.

St Albans City Youth FC - Match Reports w/e 24th March 2019



The 18 EJA were away in the league at Barton Rovers on a very difficult and bubbly pitch and it was some good saves from keeper Sam Galatis that kept the scoreline at 0-0. The Saints took the lead on 35 minutes when out saw Max Hodgson pull the ball back to NICK RALFE who took a touch and then slotted the ball into the bottom left corner to make it 1-0 at half time. Coming down the hill in the second saw the Saints starting to play some brilliant football through the midfield but however Barton scored a equaliser when one of their strikers from the edge of the box hit a cracking shot into the bottom right corner. The Saints took the lead again when Jarvis Wilkins cut out a pass whereupon he cheated the ball down and found Ed Mann in midfield who quickly passed it forward to Billy Owen who instantly slotted a great ball inside Barton left back to Earl Atat hose cross was converted by JONNY BROWN to make it 2-1. Barton pressed for an equaliser and they were rewarded with a towering header at the back post. With six minutes of added time saw Sam Galatis make a fantastic double save and then played the ball over the top giving the Saints a 4 v 1 however as the Saints broke the final whistle blew so the final score remained at 2-2.

The 16 EJA were in a cup semi-final away at Wingate & Finchley and despite a goal from JACK McSHANE(the mars bar kid) to give them a 1-0 lead they eventually lost 3-2 with a few players playing a bit below par(yes you know who you are). Scoring the other goal was yet another fine effort from JACK MCSHANE

At home to Bishop Stortford EJA were the 14 EJA which saw a fiercely contested game between two teams who were both going for second place with the Saints deservedly coming out on top in the first half in which they dominated the game which saw them race into a 2-goal lead with goals from BEN FREESTONE and JAKE BERRY. A disruption in play down to the antics of the opposition’s manager caused the Saints to lose momentum and the game turn scrappy with the visitors pulling a goal back with 15 minutes to go. Five minutes later a saw a Finlay Eames-Illingworth free kick strike the underside of the cross bar and bounce down over the line and out but the VAR did not seem to be working so no goal was awarded. Goalkeeper Billy Todd pulled of a string of fine saves to secure a 2-1 win, SO INTO 2ND PLACE WE GO.



In the Challenge Cup quarter-finals saw the 18 North play at home to Harpenden Colts Hawks with the Saints coming out on top by winning by three goals to nil. Scoring for the North are George Piekarczyk, Harry Watts and Cameron Clark whilst Rob McKee was named man of the match.

The 18 West lost 4-1 to Oxhey Jets in division 3 of the WHYL with it just not being the West's day as their goalscorer was an own goal.

The 18 Orient played their last ever league match away to Cassiobury Rangers in the Division 4 knowing they only needed a point to win the league. After a hard-fought end to end game with both teams missing chances it finally ended 0-0 which was enough for the Orient to take the title undefeated. The have played 12 league matches and won 7 and drew 5 for a total of 26 points and goals for was 41 and 17 against. Kai Takahashi led the scorers for the Orient in the league with 18 plus another 3 for a total of 21 for the season so far as the 18 Orient have a League Cup final to go for to end the season on a real high. The man of the match went to Ollie Wakeling.

The 16 Central scored three goals through Josh Penning, Matty Bleakley and Ollie Gilmour in their home match with Everett Rovers but alas the visitors struck five times to win 5-3 whilst the man of the match for the Central was awarded to Elliot Smith.

Also scoring three goals were the 16 West but they also lost with the score being 7-3 to Hemel Youth Red at home with the goals for the West coming Joe Fletcher, David Joyner and Millan Sanderson whilst Samuel Pollard was named man of the match for the West.

Two goals from which were well taken by Daniel Breeze gave the 16 Orient the edge in there away match at Chorleywood Vipers with Josh Haworth making sure of all three points with a goal to give the Orient a 3-2 victory.

The 14 West played a double header against St Albans Rangers Harriers and they won both matches 4-0 and 3-2 respectively to take all six points. Scoring the goals in the first game were Finn Geoghegan 2, Alex Maiden and Chester Reynolds whilst Dylan Laird was named man of the match. In the second match it was a bit closer affair with the Saints just nicking it by that odd goal and scoring for the West were Finn Geoghegan, Chester Reynolds and Christy Shaw with Mason Kerr picking up the man of the match this time.

The 13 West were at home to Harpenden Colts Hornets in the quarter-final of the Intermediate Cup and it was a very exciting match as I watched part of it but Tezza had to miss the final stages as he had to move on to another match. The West took the lead when a corner kick from Lewis Bullock was hit home at the far post by Ben Mitchell. Lewis Bullock then hit the crossbar with a great shot from distance whilst Charlie Clark saw his penalty kick strike the foot of the near post and rebound out and of course he could not tuck the loose ball as it had not been touched by any other player, so the ball was scrambled clear. In the second half saw the Hornets score an equaliser early on to make the score 1-1 Lewis Bullock again had no luck in the second when he saw his free kick strike the face of the bar for the second in the match whilst into extra time for the third time in the match another effort from Bullock hit the woodwork this time it was the far post and so the match finally went to penalties. In the penalty shoot-out saw the 13 West win 2-1 and so move into the semi-finals with the penalty scorers being Freddie Penford and Lewis Bullock (he deserves it) whilst the hero of the match was goalkeeper Ollie Philpot who saved three of the Harpenden Colts Hornets spot kicks. The match was well refereed by Natasha Marsh

The 13 Central and the 13 Boreal fought out an exciting 3-3 draw in the division 4 of the WHYL, scoring for the Central team was man of the match Oliver Taylor with two goals whilst Tarron Tank stormed through to score one himself. The goalscorer for the 13 Boreal was Toma Tashev with a superb hat-trick which saw him score with some great finishing around the box. The man of the match went Josh Golding who gave a brilliant defensive performance in an excellent team display from the rest of the squad.

The 12 Arrows lost 3-0 at home to Wheathampstead Wanderers Tigers with the man of the match for the Arrows going to Sam McGorrian.

At home to Hemel Youth Green were the 12 Dragons and although they scored two goals through Michael Napier and Joshua Nash the visitors hit back with four of their own for the Dragons to eventually lose 4-2. The hard-tackling Ayaan Hussain was named man of the match for the Dragons.

The shout around the ground was where is Clarky as the 12 Central played at home to Harpenden Colts Tigers as he had left coach Ben Coote on his own but we all knew where he was he was at the opening of the New Stadium of Spurs and the Clarky of old would not have done that(or so he says)!. Back to the match saw the 12 Central win 5-1 against those Tigers with Dean Bladon scoring a fantastic hat-trick whilst there were singles from Stephen Tchoudi and Elinge Mosima with goalkeeper Jake Lee being named man of the match. Remember Mark you must stay with your youth team and not go wandering off!



Away to AEK FC Eagles Gold in the quarter-final of the challenge cup saw the 18 South eventually lose 4-3 after a very close game with the winning goal for the home side being scored late on to deny the Saints a place in the semi-final. Scoring the goals for the South were Harrison Arnold, Ross Weaver and Lucas King.

In the Blue division of the WFL saw the 18 Central lose by the odd goal with the scoreline being 1-0 to Wingate & Finchley Blues with the man of the match for the Central team going to Jack Latter.

The 16 South were at home to Enfield Town Youth and at half time the South were 3-0 down and by the final whistle it had become 7-1 with Will Brown scoring an excellent strike for the South's consolation goal. Goalkeeper Declan Jackson had a good game in that he kept the scoreline down whilst the man of the match went to midfielder Callum Cosgrove.

In the Spring Cup group B match saw the 15 East lose 6-0 and so the East will not progress to the knock-out stages of the Cup.

The 15 North were away in a Spring Shield group D match to St Albans Rangers Zelos and the North went onto win 7-1 with two goals from Tyler Cadiou-McCarthy plus two from Daniel Curran (that’s my boy). The other goals were scored by Wasim Boksh, Mahin Miah and one from man of the match Shay Cassidy.

The 13 South fought out a exciting 3-3 draw at home to Highgate & Muswell Hill Dynamo with two fine well taken goals from George Dalton plus one from Ollie Cronin.

In the Challenge Cup quarter-finals saw the 12 Orient play Whetstone Wanderers at home and at full time saw the game end at 2-2 with a cracking header from debutante Tomer Cohen to score an equalising goal in the last minute for Orient to take the match to extra time. Ollie Jay scored the other goal for the 12 Orient, but it was Whetstone who went through to the semi-final with a 3-2 win. The man of the match for the Saints went to Josh Toop who gave a brilliant display in defence.

Away to AC Finchley South were the 12 Spartans but their defensive wall was breached four times as they lost 4-1 with Dewayne Mitchell the Spartans top goalscorer scoring their only goal of the match.

Playing in the Purple division saw the 12 Vikings eventually lose 3-2 at home Boreham Wood Lancers with Sean Magee and man of the match Max Winders scoring for the Vikings.

The 9 East had a match against Croxley Green in the Robin Hood division of the WFL which saw Carter Davies score a fine goal for the Saints whilst the man of the match Bailey Fennel gave yet another good performance plus, he also scored another stunning goal for the second week running.



At home to Ware Flamengo were the 8 Lions and they took part in a high scoring match with plenty of goals from both sides and it saw player of the match for the Lions Harry Turnbull score two great individual goals for the 8 Lions late in the game. Other scorers for those roaring Lions were Daniel Davenport, Edward Beard, Matthew Denning and then a well taken goal by Joshua Jury as he took the ball around the keeper and calmly slotted into the empty net for the final goal for those roaring Lions.

Away to the soaring Codicote Eagles saw the 9 North score two fine goals through Nathan Payne and Henry Pagett whilst the man of the match for them went Hektor Redel who worked hard in midfield to keep the team moving forward.

Following a good team performance were the 9 South in their match against Bury Rangers and Nathaniel Faldo found the back of the net with an excellent shot. Other goalscorers for the South in the match were Julian and Sofiane Benadoud.

The 9 Orient put in a battling display with their home match with Bury Rangers Stripes and scoring two goals for the young Saints was Uros Skipic whilst Billy Stone got one. 

The Wheathampstead Wanderers Pumas were finally caged when they played at home to 9 West and scoring goals for the West were James Cox, Benjamin Coupland, Charlie Latham and Paolo Iacobucci.

The 10 North were away to Bury Rangers Whites and they scored four goals with singles coming from Oliver Ajaegbu, Josh Cassidy, Ted Stebbens and Olic Fan.

A great cross from Will John setup Oliver Cox to score a fine goal for the 10 East in their home match with Wheathampstead Wanderers Tigers whilst the star player for the East went to Ethan Robertson who defended well throughout and he even played the ball out from the back with pace whilst he also spent some time in the midfield and in doing so saw him give a great all round performance.

In the Dave Wray Green division cup saw the 11 East win 4-2 at home against Arsenal Women with the man of the match Matis Walton scoring two goals whilst Vincenzo Di Girgenti also scored two fine goals as well.

In a very high scoring game saw Theo Hancock score five yes 5 goals for the 11 0rient in their game at home to Bury Rangers with further goals from Louis Kemp and Michael Wadsworth. It just shows how much they have improved under manager Ed Lorman and coach Tom Johnson.

The 11 North entertained Wheathampstead Wanderers Pumas in the Dave Wray White division cup and despite goals from Archie Leggatt-Martin and Charlie Yeo the North eventually lost 3-2.

Playing in Blue and Yellow stripes were the 11 Victoria and this certainly confused the Bengeo Tigers Caspian’s team as they gradually conceded four goals with Max Milton, Aidan Keigher, Aaron Holsborough and George Betteley all getting on the score-sheet.



The 17 Girls started extremely well and dominated the play and scored early on with a confident strike from Alice Benson to give the 17 Girls a 1-0 lead at home to Kings Langley Youth Blues Girls. In the second half Alice Benson scored another two fine goals to complete her hat-trick following some lovely build-up from several City players to make it 3-0 and then Melissa Trulock struck to make it 4-0 with a great strike from the right-hand side. Kings Langley scored a consolation late to make the final score 4-1 with Claudia Scrimgeour being named player of the match following a dominating midfield performance.

The 16 Girls lost 6-1 at home to London Bees WFC 16 Girls with Mia Pinkham scoring the only goal for the Saints whilst the player of the match went to Bora Cela.

Away to Berkhamsted Raiders Youth Girls Orange saw the 13 Girls North take a 1-0 lead at half time with a well taken goal from Blaze Wilding and then a cracking goal in the second period from Viktoria Bogdanova settled the match giving the 13 Girls North a 2-0 victory.

The 12 Girls South won 3-1 away to B.S.C. FC Girls the name for Bishop Stortford Girls with Marelie Raath scoring two goals whilst Florence Tatlock scored one with the most expert crosser of the ball Anna Cox being named player of the match.

The 12 Girls North were heavily defeated at home to Berkhamsted Raiders Girls Red with the North scoring at least one goal.  

Playing Hitchin Belles Blues away in the Pink division were the 11 Girls and scoring a brilliant goal for them was Rebecca Smith whilst the player of the match was awarded to the hard-working Olive Jones following a excellent performance for the team.

The 10 Girls North played some great football against Evergreen Phoenix Girls away which resulted in Rachel Kincaid scoring two excellent goals one in each half following some great support play from Verity Lobina and Sophie Mahon.

The 10 Girls Wildcats were at home to hear we go again B.S.C. FC Girls and after playing some fantastic football during the game saw firstly Abigail Ward score a fine goal for the Lady Saints and this was followed up by a well taken goal from Emily Gray 

There was a joint player of the match and it went to Chloe Nuttall and Abigail Ward who both worked during the game.

The 9 Girls faced a very determined Hitchin Belles side and they denied the 9 Girls time on the ball as they pushed forward. Both sides defended well, and clear chances were infrequent despite the end to end action. An even contest in the end and the 9 Girls were finally rewarded with a goal apiece late on from Sacha Davies and Matilda Flynn. Jessica Reeve provided the consistency needed and was immense at the back and in doing so richly deserved her player of the match title, well done Jessica. 

Lucy Leonard scored a brilliant goal for the 8 Girls in their home match with Berkhamsted Raiders Solar following a very entertaining match.