NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you do not change your browser settings, then you agree to the use of cookies

I understand


City Youth Match Reports 5 May 2013

See how your team did, read the match reports here now.

Managers, don't forget to phone the Press Secretary, Terry Edwards by 8:00pm on Sunday with your Result and Match Report.

Tel: 01727 833685

St Albans City Youth Match Reports 5th May 2013

St Albans City Youth FC – Boys


George Walker Memorial Trophy Matches


For St Albans City Youth Girls Match Reports Click Here


Under 18’s

The Under 18’s North made it three wins on the bounce as they defeated Watford Youth away 3 – 2. Scoring the goals for the North were Luke Ferdinand, Denzil Addo plus one from man of the match Callum Peet.


Under 16’s

Away to AC Finchley South were the Under 16’s North and although the North tailed 2 – 1 at half time they scored an equaliser in the second half for the match to end all square at 2 – 2. The scorer for the North was Gus Scott with both goals.

Under 15's


Under 15's North add the League Cup to this Seasons Trophies

A whirlwind first half containing 7 goals saw St Albans twice come from behind and withstand some robust challenges to go 5 -2 up at the break. A goal mouth scramble saw Luke Lanham bag the first and then 2 Charlie Ward penalties from fouls on Akim Akinbinu started to settle the nerves before the goal of the game was scored by Rory Armstrong after superb one touch passes from Matt Harvey, Gerardo Smaldone and Tom Dolan. Callum Clifford sent in a series of superb free kicks one of which proved too much for the keeper for the fifth. Rickmansworth responded with a good free kick to make it 5 - 3 but then Gerardo Smaldone made the game safe with the 6th. Charlie Ward proudly held the cup high and Dan McGoohan was named man of the match.


Playing Aston Clinton at home saw the Under 15’s West lose 3 – 1 with Ed Anders scoring their only goal. Keeper Samuel Cormell earned the man of the match title.

The Under 15’s West next played Oxhey United away and they came back with all the points after a good 7 – 1 victory. Leading the scorers was Josh Bean with a hat trick, then Ollie Shepherd 2, Max Bull and Ed Anders.

In their last league game of the season saw the Under 15’s Boreal lose 6 – 1 at home to Garston Boys with Sian Khan-Boylan scoring their consolation goal. Bailey Lewis was named man of the match.

Although the Under 15’s Warriors lost 5 – 4 at home to Comets White the highlight of this very entertaining game was a hat trick from Samual Waters-Rathjen (scored in seven minutes). The other goal was scored by Johney Stone, there was a joint man of the match which was shared by Lewis Glasscoe and Samuel Waters-Rathjen.

The Under 15’s Warriors then had an away game at Chorleywood  and won 3 – 2 with goals from Samual Waters-Rathjen with 2  and a single from Max Sharpe.

Under 14’s

The Under 14’s North had a very tough game away to a strong Berkhamsted Raiders team but the North turned it on to win 2 – 1 with goals from Morgan Trotman and Charlie Lunniss. The man of the match went to Alex Beard with keeper Will Moroney a close second to the award after he made to wonderful saves during the game.

Under 13’s

At home to local rivals Harvesters saw the Under 13’s North cruise to a 4 – 0 victory with two goals from Ollie Hann plus singles from Ned Robinson and Will Sharp.

Away to Evergreen were the Under 13’s West and they lost 3 – 2 despite two goals from Gianpaulo Manzi. Harrison Bell was voted man of the match.

In their next game the Under 13’s West defeated Herons orange 3 – 0 with another two goals from Gianpaulo Manzi plus a single from Mete Johnson. This win sealed the Division Three title of the West Herts league. Ryan Osborn was named man of the match.

Under 12’s

Joe Newton scored both goals for the Under 12’s South in their 2 – 2 home draw with Omonia Green. Dan Ashenhurst was named man of the match.

The Under 12’s West played Herons and took an early 2 – 0 lead with both goals scored by Matthew Nash, who then scored a third  to give the West a 3 – 2 lead at the break. In the second half Herons hit back to go 4 – 3 up. Nash then had another goal disallowed before Herons scored again late on to make the final score 5 – 3. The man of the match went to hat trick man Matthew Nash.

Under 11’s

The Under 11’s North took part in two high scoring matches, in the first they beat top of the table Hemel Athletic 4 – 3 with a brilliant team performance. Scoring the goals  were Ryan Orde 2, Joe Williams and man of the match Finn Murphy.

In their next game they played Hemel Town away and they won this match 5 – 4 with man of the match Billy Owen scoring a fine hat trick. The other goals came from Joe Curran.

Another team that had two matches were the Under 11’s East, they had mixed fortunes, losing the first game 3 – 1 at home to Abbots Youth with man of the match Aaron Peter scoring their only goal.

In their next game they played Aston Clinton Cobras at home and following some first half jitters they went in at the break 1 – 0 down. In the second half the East fought back to win 2 – 1 with goals from Henry Peter and Sam Lailey in what was a brilliant revival following the first half form. Man of the match went to Aaron Peter.

Under 10’s

At home to Panshanger were the Under 10’s West and after a very close game the visitors came out on top to win 4 – 2. Scoring the goals for the West was Joe Cussans with two fine strikes. Man of the match went to Josh Penning.

Under 9’s

With the sun shining brightly the Under 9’s North seemed to be dazzled by first losing 2 – 0  to Little Gaddesden and then going down by the same scoreline to Sun Postal. Charlie Park was named man of the match in the second game.


St Albans City Youth FC – Girls


Under 14’s

The Under 14’s Girls played a double header against Kinja which saw them lose the first game 4 – 1 with Katherine Hatton scoring their goal and keeper April Harpin named player of the match.

In their second match they ended the season on a high note by winning the game 2 – 1 with Katherine Hatton and Morgan Jeggo scoring. The player of the match went to Emily Stacey.

Under 13’s

The Under 13’s Girls North match finished in dramatic style with them scoring an equalising goal in stoppage time to make it 3 – 3 against Hitchin. Dani Tyler scored two goals including the equaliser and was named man of the match. Emily Schofield scored the other goal.

There were goals galore for the Under 13’s Girls South as they beat Bedwell 6 – 1 with Kate Chamberlain leading the way with a glorious hat trick. The other scorers were Abbie Durrant, Aimee Smith and Rose McGahan. Shamica Powell was named player of the match.

Under 11’s

The Under 11’s Girls needed 4 points to stay up in their double header against Hitchin, they got one of the points with a 0 – 0 draw in the first game. In the second match it was another tight match but Hannah Martin broke clear and with only the keeper to beat she tucked the ball away calmly to seal a 1- 0 win, securing the extra points needed. Laura Gifford was named player of the match.

Under 10’s

A goal from Susie Weidsmann earned the Under 10’s Girls a 1 – 1 draw at home to Berkhamsted, Sian Watson was named player of the match.


Under 12's

George Walker Memorial Trophy Matches 2013

For more great pictures from the George Walker games click here >>>


Four matches were played by the City Youth Under 12 teams (Boys and Girls) and the Saints Disability Squad) raising money for charity in memory of former club Chairman George Walker, on of the many highlights of the matches was the City Youth Under 12’s Girls teams who played each over in what turned out to be a great match.

Girls North 0 - 5 Girls South (Hannah Coote, Jade Parker, Lauren Standing, Kira Close, Charlotte Banks)

A first for the girls  lining up 11v11 on a full size pitch. Both teams coped amazingly well with the pitch size and the hot weather.

North started the brightest, moving the ball around nicely and creating the first opportunity of the match in the opening minutes. Some last ditch defending from the South kept the score at 0-0. South gradually got into their stride, and began putting the North under increasing pressure, but North defended in numbers and dealt with the pressure efficiently. North frustrated the South's attack for 20 minutes, before Hannah Coote finally opened the scoring with a left foot strike from just inside the penalty area. The second came moments later, when striker Jade Parker was put through to slot past the keeper. Lauren Standing's speculative chip from outside the 18 year box made it 3-0 at half time.

North came out fighting in the second half, and began creating some chances of their own with some impressive passing football. Their determination and effort  limited opportunities for the South, and it wasn’t until mid way through the second half before South managed to break through a tenacious North defence. Kira Close's persistence was rewarded, making it 4-0 with 10 minutes remaining,. Charlotte banks made one of her many attacking runs from Left Back, and after a neat exchange of passes,  curled the  ball into the far corner for South's 5th. Player of the match for the Under 12's North was Libby Rainford.

Both teams played some impressive football and the game was played in great spirit.


Under 12's West v Watford Youth Sports Red


On Friday night a great game was played between St Albans City Youth U12 West and Watford Youth Sports Red. The game was contested keenly from the start with goal as both sides scored in quick succession. Though the score ended up 6-1 in Watfords favour the Saints gave a good account of themselves and were denied more goals by some great saves by Watfords keeper. Ethan scored 4 and Max scored 2.  


Under 12's South  v  Under 12's East


The boys were eagerly awaiting the match against the East team as there were may familiar faces in the opposition line up and bragging rights were on the line. So far as the match was concerned, I can only provide a report on what happened on the near side of the pitch which was enormous but a great experience for the lads.

The East started the more composed with some fine passing and play was very territorial as it was difficult to play through the midfield. Our keeper Lee was the busier of the two keepers and we had trouble dealing with their big centre forwards’ physical presence so I decided to bring on our Mertesacker centre back Ollie to combat the threat.

At half time, I told the boys to relax as they were playing with too much nervous tension and we started to improve our passing and slowly but surely began to take a grip in the match as our opponents began to tire. A dangerous cross was put in the box which found the left foot of Jed who smashed it into the corner for the opening goal. Soon afterwards, Jed was instrumental in the second goal providing a lovely cross which ended up at the feet of Ross and he powered the ball into the net much to the delight of his teammates.

The game was played in a great spirit by both teams and East can count themselves unlucky as a 2-0 scoreline was a bit flattering. Jed was our man of the match especially as he hadn’t played for four weeks and a thoroughly enjoyable night for all concerned with many thanks to Dave, Mervyn and Terry for organising.



You can now support City Youth in the Community by making a donation on

Support your local charity, donate to City Youth NOW

Website security

Herts FA  Football Foundation FA Respect     FA Tesco Skills

Club Sponsors - Please show your support